BRUNCH - QUICK STRAWBERRY PORRIDGE

I like my breakfast and never go without at least cereal to eat first thing in the morning.

I also like to have a healthy breakfast, and therefore seek out the lowest sugar content cereals as well as short cut bacon which has almost no fat.

I also love semolina and porridge, but as the strawberries are delicious from some shops at the moment, I wanted to incorporate strawberries in with a hot breakfast, and so I decided on rolled oats with strawberries.

I never use instant oats as I do not think they taste anywhere near as good as the "real thing", and I also think that cooking oats are nicer on top of the stove as against the quicker way of making them in the microwave.

This recipe is both healthy, warming and delicious, and it is so easy to make that even children could make it!  My grandson helped me to make it but he did not want his strawberries cooked, so I made his separate and put the strawberries on top.

I also added sliced bananas after I finished cooking the rolled oats, but this is also optional.

Preparation Time:  A few minutes
Cooking Time:  About 8 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients
2 cups milk, plus extra to serve (optional)
¾ cup rolled oats
1 punnet strawberries, hulled, quartered
½ tbsp cinnamon sugar
Sliced bananas - optional

Method
Combine the milk and rolled oats in a saucepan, and bring it to the boil over a medium heat.

Then reduce the heat to low and stir in the strawberries.

Simmer this for between 5 and 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, and until the strawberries are cooked to your liking - I like them not too mushy but that is a personal choice.

Remove the pot from the heat, and spoon the mixture into two bowls.  Sprinkle each one evenly with the cinnamon sugar, and pour over extra milk, if using, and then serve.

If you are not cooking the strawberries as I did for my grandson, take the oats off the heat before you add the strawberries, and just slice them on top of the rolled oats.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTATO SALAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER

Pizza Toppings Using Leftovers

Chicken with Walnuts and Hoisin Sauce